Phase Ten: First tests on the IG-88

HOME

I spent an evening and machined a nice spindle to go with the IG-88. It turned out better than I expected. Maybe all that machine work practice is starting to pay off. I still don't totally enjoy machine work though. I'd rather have the machine to the machining! I have to credit Paul Jones with some of the ideas that go into this spindle holder. Great ideas Paul! You can visit his website here: CNC On A Budget

 

The old antennae or pipe clamp idea works like a charm on this one.

 

This spindle is quite accurate despite the fact that it is running on skate bearings. I still have to scrounge up a motor, but that shouldn't be too tough.

 

A nice shot that shows the whole Z axis assembly.

 

And another that displays the fine cast parts that I poured in my back yard. I guess there are a lot of parts to this thing. No wonder it took me a year to build.

 

The nearly completed IG-88 getting ready for service.

 

I picked up a brand new sewing machine motor from the shop nearby for $20. I also got a vacuum belt for $.99. This combination is very quiet and powerful.

 

I also had to machine new pulleys to fit the vacuum belt.

 

Kudos to the guys in hardwarestorcnc conference who thought of the idea to put threaded inserts into the table top for clamps! I drew up a grid and CNC drilled the holes.

 

1/8" drill bit worked perfect for starter holes. I then hand drilled the holes to size.

 

No wobble in this bit even at that length.

 

Here you can see the threaded insert that I installed from the bottom side of the table.

 

Time for some leveling of the tabletop with the cutting head. I found that the center of the table was 1/32" higher along the X axis than the outsides of the table. I'll probably end up shimming the outside edges to bring them up. The length of the table was almost perfectly level with the cutting head though.